Friday, February 25, 2011

Today We Will Have Cake

I cannot believe its been 2 year since this beauty came into my life.
 Where does the time go?  Well, we have been pretty busy...

 Stopping to smell the roses
Having a ball 
 Just hangin' around
  Modeling
Learning to drive
 Making new friends 
Amongst all the giggles and nonsense that this little girl provides, it is milestones like these that make me realize just how lucky we are to have her in our lives. 

Rewind to about 3 1/2 years ago when the hubs and I decided that we needed just one more addition to our apparently not active enough lives.  Since I was thought to be a fertile myrtle who has the magical power of splitting eggs, we thought we'd have no problem getting pregnant on the first try...well, it took about 3 months.  We were ecstatic and wanted the perfect opportunity to share the amazing news with all our family.  Conveniently enough, I host Easter dinner for both of our families and that Easter I was exactly 8 weeks along.  We went all out and had shirts made for the boys to announce the big news.  Everyone was excited and shocked (probably more at the fact that we kept it a secret) to learn that there would soon be a new baby!  Even more exciting was that my due date fell right smack between my best friend and my sister in law's due dates...life couldn't be better!

The next day I found myself at the happiest place on earth when pregnant, my midwives' office.  I was soon showered with forms, hugs, and my first golden ticket to see my little peanut on ultrasound.  By Wednesday I was in for my ultrasound and everything changed.  The ultrasound was showing the baby wasn't as far along as it should have been so the easiest conclusion was that I was off on my dates....however, we were trying...I knew I wasn't off on my dates...

We were instructed to wait the hardest week of our lives for HCG blood draws every 2 days and an ultrasound a week later.  We were back in the ultrasound office and we got some scary, but encouraging results...the egg had split, which meant twins, but still no fetal development.  So we were once again instructed to continue the blood draws and have another ultrasound.  So here I was 10 weeks pregnant, scared to death, and back in the ultrasound office...then our world crashed around us.  There was no development and my HCG levels were steadily dropping.  I was told, "these things happen", "next time will be different", "it's not your fault," and many other words put together that meant nothing to me at that moment...I was sent home to miscarry.  And for almost a week I went each day knowing that at any moment I would no longer be pregnant.  At almost 11 weeks I finally miscarried and left with an unexplainable void. 

Days turned into weeks and we were instructed to wait 2 cycles before trying again....well, apparently there were other plans in order as we were pregnant within less than 2 months of my miscarriage.  I vowed to never return to an ultrasound or appointment by myself as I didn't know how I could handle another blow.  With the hubs by my side we were back in for an ultrasound and we were blessed to see the tiniest flicker of a heartbeat...and much more...hope!  Well, that hope grew and so did our baby and we spent the next 9 months excited, scared, nervous, and anxiously awaiting the birth of our baby girl.

On February 25, 2009 at 7:32 pm, 1 day after my due date and almost 1 year after my miscarriage, we welcomed Kamryn Kelly Cody into the world, our lives, an our family.
  And now 2 years later here we are! 
Thank God for the baby we were never privileged to meet and for the little girl we were always meant to have.

Happy Birthday Miss Kami!

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. Great, heartfelt post Kelly! What a difficult time in your life it must have been during your miscarriage, but you sure were blessed to conceive so quickly afterward! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! It was hard to understand why I had to go through that at the time, but now I know why. She has been such a blessing and I couldn't imagine our lives without her!

    ReplyDelete